According to a study by Gallup,* just 15% of employees are fully engaged at work. That leaves 85% of employees with unlocked potential. But how can you unlock this potential? Purpose has been identified as a key driver in engaging employees, but how can you integrate purpose and meaning into your employees’ work?
Offering opportunities to give back through an integrated workplace giving program might just be the answer. After all, 74% of employees say they feel more fulfilled by their job when they are given the opportunity to make a positive impact on social and environmental issues.*
Although 80% of employees would like to participate in CSR, only 17% actually do it.
But, getting your employees involved in doing Good can be a challenge. Although 80% of employees would like to participate in CSR, only 17% actually do it.* To help, here are a few tips to give involvement in your workplace giving program a boost:
Give people choice
We all care about different causes. While your company might be operating in the food sector and most directly support causes related to hunger, your employees are likely passionate about other causes, like gender equality, or education. Moreover, depending on their jobs and personal preferences, people prefer to give back in different ways, whether by volunteering, raising funds by running for a cause, or perhaps organizing a collection of winter clothes.
By giving employees the choice to contribute to the causes they’re most passionate about, they’ll be more likely to engage and have a greater impact on society. Empowering employees is key for social engagement.
Giving back has so much potential to create Good in our communities. Giving to local causes not only provides support to causes that need it, but it is also an impactful way to build meaningful connections with the local community and to have a tangible impact on its development. Acting locally encourages engagement.
Focus on the experience and recognize people
You know your employees the best. What motivates them? What do they care about? Turn a social action into a team-building experience, involve people across all levels, recognize the most engaged employees, give them small perks and rewards, or link the experience to social media.
When there is fun and recognition, people are more likely to get involved and to remember (and repeat) it in the future. This is why initiatives such as Charity Runs, Movember, and the Ice Bucket Challenge work so well.
Make it simple and go digital
Whatever activity you offer to your employees, keep it simple and easy to organize. People want to do Good, yet it is often a challenge to carve out the time from their busy schedules to take the time to give back.
And when you’re spread across different locations, whether in the same country or across borders, this adds another challenge. With a digital solution, you can bring people together more efficiently. By making it easy to organize, sign up, and log hours, employees are more likely to participate and contribute.
Are you ready to get started?
So, what do you say, are you ready to start changing the world, all while at work?
If you’d like to learn more about Alaya and how you can engage your employees all while doing Good, you can request a demo of our platform. We’d be happy to share and show you how you can make it easy and fun for your company and teams to do Good.
* Sources: 2016 Cone Communications Employee Engagement Study, Gallup State of the Global Workplace 2017, Giving Corner, Project ROI.
You might also be interested in: 3 essentials for a successful Employee Engagement program